Sunday, April 14, 2013

San Antonio


This was my inspiration for my first sidewalk painting. Saint Anthony. The patron of our city, the finder of lost things, humble, true, great lover of the Word of God and preacher.


The work starts out, blocked out in colors. I first attempted a grid and wasted precious time on little squares. The work was roughly 5ft by 8 ft.
Some of the most fun is had by sharing large pieces of chalk with the children in the farmer's market. One child drew an outline of her father's body, as in a crime scene. Another drew lovely flowers and a "sunscape."
One of the Farmer's Market volunteers gently teased me, saying that Saint Anthony looked just fine, but the Baby Jesus needed work. True that. 
If I had a heart as pure as St. Anthony's, it would be easy to "see" the Baby Jesus, and draw him. Unfortunately, those privileges belong to Saints.

I had to leave earlier than I wished. My faithful service dog Shadow, looked a little worn from the sun by noontime. My whole body hurt once I stopped, my back and knees protested and groaned.  I popped some ibuprofen, and noticed the asphalt had somehow ripped a sturdy pair of twill Lands' End capris. I found out later that the chalk pigment smashed into every layer of my clothing- making my "whitey tighties" a spectacular cloud of rainbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment